The municipality, the castle, was built at the end of the 16th century on the small peninsula in the port of Komiža, which ends today with a breakwater. Its quadrilateral shape spreads at the bottom of the walled walls. The northern and western walls were before the construction of the shore in the sea, so there are bulky stone rings for binding sailing sailboats. Solid walls end with a rounded bulbous crown, where some of the openings were enclosed by walls on the still-preserved double consoles. In the walls there are cannons, narrow gutters and square openings over the wall. After the Austrian disarmament of the island of Vis, Komiška municipality bought a castle in 1879 and placed the administrative office in it. Then lightweight balconies with openings were built, and at the corner of the north and east facades the tower of the municipal clock tower was raised. With these modifications, the castle became the municipal administration building of Komiža. Over the door with a cross engraved in the center of the lintel are the coat of arms and inscription of the Venetian representative on Hvar and Vis, the prince and the providor of John Grimanija, in which it is emphasized that by his dedication the castle was built in 1585. Like most of the Venetian forts in Dalmatia, it was not completed with Venetian state money but the income from the hard and persistent fishing of Komiža at the fishing post Trešjavac, south of Biševo, which is written on the inscription on the northern wall under the worn relief of the winged lion, the only known Venetian Republic stayed on the island. The inside of the castellate is covered with solid arches which are pushed into the central column. The ribbed vault on the ground floor has cross belts, and one arch on the floor is Gothic. [5] The narrow side staircase from the ground floor entrance leads to the first floor and the final terrace. Today, the Fishermen's Museum is located in the castle. Source


Ul. Riva Svetoga Mikule 4, Komiža, Croatia

Mobile phone



Working hours: